Oil Pulling: I’m lovin’it
Diperbarui: 2 Jul 2019
I have practiced oil pulling for more than 5 years. The first two or three years I only practiced oil pulling in the morning – just after I woke up and before brushed my teeth. But then I thought why not also doing it at night? Here I am, practicing oil pulling twice a day and I’m lovin’ it!
Oil pulling is part of Ayurverda practice. Ayuverda is a traditional, holistic medicine system from India that now is practiced in different part of the world as complementary medicine. Oil pulling is oral detoxification procedure by swishing one tablespoon of oil for 5 to 20 minutes to remove bacteria and improve dental health.
There are some published researches on oil pulling. Those studies found that oil pulling promotes oral health. One study (Asokan et al, 2009) showed that oil pulling reduces plaque index and modifies gingival scores. Other studies found that oil pulling could help reduce bad breath, improve gum health and reduce inflammation. Another study by Dr Abhinav Singh in 2009 found that oil pulling therapy showed a reduction in the plaque index, modified gingival scores, and total colony count of aerobic microorganisms in the plaque of adolescents with plaque-induced gingivitis – please note that this research used sesame oil.
How to do oil pulling?
1. Pick your favorite oil. There are some popular choices for doing oil pulling: coconut oil; sesame oil and olive oil. I haven’t tried sesame and olive oil for oil pulling. I choose coconut oil simply because I’m familiar with its scent and taste.
2. Add essential oil for extra benefit (and taste). I would recommend clove and or peppermint oil. Clove oil is well-known to be used to relieve tooth pain and kill bacteria. Peppermint essential oil adds minty taste and helps to eliminate gum disease.
3. Do oil pulling in the morning – and later, do it twice a day, in the morning and night time
4. Swish one tablespoon of oil for at least 10 minutes – best is doing it for 20 minutes. At first, it would be difficult to swish oil for 10 minutes, but don’t worry, you will get used to it. I usually do oil pulling while cleaning up my apartment or while doing exercise.
5. Spit out the oil then followed by rinsing your mouth brushing your teeth. Never ever spit out the oil to the sink or toilet as it will clog your drains.
Do I feel the benefits of doing oil pulling? I feel my teeth are cleaner than before and oil pulling helps me eliminating my gum bleeding problem. But I still have to go to the dentist every 6 months – to checking up and scaling. It doesn’t solve all problems but it is a simple treatment for my oral hygiene and it is a safe, natural mouthwash replacement!